Tuesday, July 2, 2013

BC bike race day 1 and 2

Let the race begin, 550 people lined up at the start of day 1 to find themselves 3-8 hrs later buggered. Day one was hard, stage racing is hard and life is hard racing for 7 days on super challenging terrain! The body hurts in places you didn’t know you had muscles due to the long downhills and rootyrocky single track. For me I loved it, it a challenge that you desire to push yourself and test yourself in area’s you have not been challenged before. If you look at anyones results weather you are in the top 10% or bottom 10% everyone has a story to tell for that days results. For me my story like anyone else is moan a little then stuck it up and just go out there and see how you do on the day, as you never know how you going to go until your bum is in the saddle. My first day result didn’t come easy and am happy to be in the front of race and keeping my stole which hasn’t stopping flowing for 4 days prior. I would say the guy who was 14th behind me was happy that I kept it inside me too! On day one out the 550 people there where 30 DNF’s due how tough the terrain was and many guys with broken bones and strain ankles, etc. For me it was just keep it tight and get to the finish in one piece. The pace of the race in the front is so fast its silly, and to try hang onto the Pro’s in front for as long as I can is mentally a race in itself. I been using the Magellan Switch (small and light with more than enough battery life) on my bars and have been trying not to look at my heart rate (as would scare me off) but have been riding at an average heart of 154 bpm for over just under 3 hrs it has been taking me to finish. So pretty much maxing it all the way for the race, but if I die I will die a happy man. Day 2: I woke to the first semi solid dump in 5days day, so yeah for that! The race bused us 1hr to the start of the race, which means they place us in the best trail network they can everyday leaving out boring traversing on endless fireroads (unlike some stage races). The first group (the race snakes) charged of the start line the pack is tight and hectic as groups for 50 set off dependant on your previous days result. Day 2 riding had to be some of the best MTB trails I have ever riding in a day, bold statement but I am putting it out there! Such amazing single track, mixed with techie climbs and fast flowing narrow and beautiful scenery (which all looked red to me from the blood and sweat in my eyes). Currently I am the top placed Saffa and 2nd Ozzie, I the last 25km with Ian from Perth (who got 6th on day 1) it was good to have company in the latter part of the race just to keep us flowing. He was strong on the flats (riding a hardtail) and lead through the singletrack. It was working for us till 2km from the end, the race lead us out of some single track over the road and back into a single track. However the two grey boulders entering the track camouflaged with trees where too narrow for a MTBer flying at pace to see and I nailed my shin into the lefthand boulder at 30 kph. I at that point I saw white light and stars-the mind quick ascertained that there was pain and issues! I looked down to see blood and my pedal stokes kind of stopped and I dropped of Ian tail yelling -O shit’s, o’no and o’ god’s,) and coasted to the finshline think is this my race over. I crossed the line in 11th overall and am 12th in GC after day 2. I finished in just over 2:30hrs and in a great position, not sure the result yet as have no internet, seen we are staying the most awesome campsite in the woods pimping it our Home next to our mates Simon and Alex Lamond (which has made the race just so much fun). 18hrs later after R.I.C. E (a little drugs- and people who know me I don’t take drugs to aid recovery, this time I took everything the medic’s had instock)and numerous cold lake swim, I can walk and think I am going to be ok to spin the crank in a square motion. So the plan is just to go out and see how the day of another racing pans out, and most of all just enjoy it!
Day 1 of The BC Bike race :

No comments:

Post a Comment