Wednesday, June 12, 2013

British Columba - Vancouver: 7 day stage race

Everyone has a bucket list! Just mine seems to be a lot longer than how much time the average human lives for on this earth, all the places I want to go experience and cool things I want to do just doesn’t seem to all fit into one lifespan. BUT, I am going to tick off one big box in a 2 weeks I will be racing the “BC RACE”. Which has to be on every mountain bikers bucket list! Described as the “Ultimate singletrack experience” across some of the most epic mountainous scenery. It’s a 7 day mountain bike stage race from Victoria to Whistler, British Columbia, Canada and just to get an entry into this race is like obtaining a Willy wonker ticket and comes at price which most sane people would not pay to endure pain and joy for 7 days.
Facts on race: Approx. 420 kilometres total Over 7000 meters of altitude gained and lost (25 000 feet) 70% Singletrack Average time riding per day 4-6 hours 21 Countries represented 500 participants
However Carrie and myself count ourselves so lucky to be in a position to get to travel and ride some of the best and most technically challenging trails the world has to offer. I will be racing Solo (flying the Magellan and Rocky Mountain flag and not riding a Zebra outfit unfortunately!)and will have the best race support in the world, the seasoned race veteran, 3 x womens podium finisher, newly accredited massage therapist and my beloved partner Carrie. Over the past year Magellan GPS has allowed me to attend and race the best races in Australia and New Zealand from MTB,road,multi-sport to tough mudder, although it’s work, it has been super cool to work at something you are passionate about and have vision on product developments. Logging riding data everyday and analysing my stats has given me more focus to set goals and I have to admit it hasn't got stale!Suppose the key is always keep things fresh, and I have been lucky enough to be riding some awesome Rocky Mountain MTB bikes and Jamis cyclocross bikes having the ablity to mix my riding and training up from road to dirt. The BC race I will be ridng the Rocky Mountain Element 999 with full Sram XX1 and beleive is the perfect all mountain bike at sub 10kg's I will be expected to bat above my average.
Hence why my Strava accounts stats look so good, I kind of ride 6-7 days a week and average 300-500km per week ( mix of MTB,cyclocross and road)
Although looking at stats on paper, only ever tells an one sided story as leaves out, all the broken bones, strain wrists, lost skin, roasties, stitches, blood, training, sacrifices and ficking FUN I have had riding these km’s. Anyway I am stoked to add another chapter : the BC RACE to EPIC ADVENTURES IN TIME.
Over the next month Carrie and I will be slumming it on people’s floors in California, visiting family around the USA,visit to Magellan fitness team in St Fran to and pimping it out in an 24 ft RV in Canada and experiencing some of the most EPIC adventures the world has to offer so stay tuned folks as we will attempt to update you on the riding and the race happenings along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment