Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cape Town- Argus Cycle tour and Wave fes



I am going to find this pretty hard to put into words, so will try play it down as my past week in Cape Town has been insane! So I am going to let pictures tell most the story.





As I arrived in CT few days before the Argus cycle tour I was in taper mode on the bike, so was conveniently hit with the best swell CT has had all year. It has just kept on coming and building throughout the week so have been able to engulf myself in some seriously mind boggling waves. Ranging from clean 3-6ft barrels to 15ft plus heaving monsters shared with only few mates at any time. The only down side of my week is that we have had to drive around with so many boards in the Landy from 6.0,6.3 6.6,6.8,7.2,8.0 and 9.6 cos just don’t know what we could end up surfing during the day and owe Seth 1 x 8 footer already (which was worth snapping for the waves we had).







The Argus finally was held on a day with light winds, after 2 yrs of 70knt SE winds. Sunday was just perfect, light winds, crisp morning mist and 35000 people lined up at 6:30am on the starting gates. As we set off I was feeling good and was loving the feeling of getting the legs spinning again, first 20km the pack was tight knitted and pace was averaging +-40 kph as we hit the fast open freeway of the M5 a pro ladies had a blow out and hit the tar at 60kph in the middle of the pack. I slammed on the brakes and ripped my foot out of the cleat with some urgency to avoid the few who where sliding along the tar at pace! I managed to avoid the crash but as cleated back in found my cleat would not go in, a slight panic crossed my mind with thoughts of that was the end of my race after 20km's. But with a pedal and a half I thought I would just ride on and see how I faired.


As we hit the first semi climb of the day (Boyes drive) my legs felt that good I felt like I could just hang in with the front pack and not push things as to jeopardize my leg muscles as really the Argus is a training ride and the Epic is my focus. I screamed at a few people asking for tape to see if I could tape my shoe to the pedal, as that was going to be the plan. But wasn’t to be and just rode on in the pack for the rest of the 80km. The pace up Chappies was good and split the field a bit, I sat back and climbed in the saddle as could get out the saddle as my foot just slipped out. 600m to the line things hotted up and the pack was about 80 odd and the guy in front of me went down hard 500m from the line my heart jumped and I swung to the right and slipped by his head by 10cm and then choose just to sit back and play it safe as my nerves where a little shattered after thinking beautiful new BMC SL01 and gold Campy wheels skaved 2 near misses in 2:49 mins that was enough to make the choice with one functional pedal the sprint for the line was not going to happen, even though I felt like I had the legs to contend! All up was a great day. Carrie got in 26 mins behind me.





Few pics of past weeks waves:











Few late 15ft+ drops due to only riding an 8ft board (all other ou's where on 9ft+ boards):





This is the waves I ended up with 2 x 4ft boards and a 35mins swim in:







The long swim in took 35mins and no sight of the board amongst the white soup:


The boys on the pier discussing the epic session we have just lucked into:

No comments:

Post a Comment